top of page

CAMPUS HISTORY

After the war, the Evangelical Youth Association got an idea to establish an evangelical school and during a meeting in December 1946 they formed a supporters' association for the school. Despite some setbacks, the school could begin operations in June 1947. Because there were a shortages of everything after the war, the donation of apples just before the initiation, in November 1947, were very suitable. Mistress Greta Selenius and needlework teacher Helen Lindqvist made oven apples with custard, which was perceived as a real feast at the initiation.

The Evangelical Youth Association worked hard to collect donations from the beginning of the school´s activities, so that they could award scholarships to poor students who might not have had the opportunity to study without this gift. This custom continued until 2012, the school had annually various scholars from Estonia, Latvia and from Finland.

The school's study range has varied over the years, but the Christian perspective have always been the foundation.

 

In the 1970s there was a structural change in the folk high schools, when the general school range no longer interested students. The school then founded specific programmers, some of which include a “Developing country”-course and “Developing country”-program, later social science-juridical-, Mission and Culture-, Film and video-, Journalistic-, Baltic culture-, and Study and Weaving program. A new program was also the Performance art program.

To grow and improve Evangeliska Folkhögskolan in Hanko merged with Vasa Evangeliska folkhögskola in january 2012 and together they are called Evangeliska folkhögskolan i Svenskfinland.

However, the number of students in Hanko was not large enough, so after 2013 there has been no folk college activity in Hanko. However, the school's board decided to start rehabilitative work activities for the long-term unemployed. The operation started in the spring of 2014 and continues today.

The Guesthouse started its activities in the A-building to support school activities and expanded in conjunction with the finishing of the new B-building in 1990. The new building functioned primarily as a boarding school for students during term time. The construction works on the B-side started in 1989. The building was completed in July 1990 when then defense minister and Member of Parliament Elisabeth Rehn opened it.

The B-building consists of 12 rooms, with shower and toilet in each room, and two lounges with fireplaces, TVs and fully equipped kitchenettes. There is a sauna beside the building. Today, the building serves as a guest house all year round.

“Make yourself at home!"
 
Folkiacenter is a homely guesthouse where you can enjoy the beautiful nature of Hanko.
Bild 1.jpg
bottom of page